SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY BUSINESSES SURVEYED INDICATE GROWTH AND HIRING
Workforce Development Board prepared to help businesses and job seekers through economic recovery
San Bernardino, CA (August 15, 2012) – The San Bernardino County Workforce Development Board (WIB) surveyed 2,220 local businesses regarding growth, employment trends and quality of workforce for the region and industry sector. The top three industries in the County – healthcare, transportation and logistics and manufacturing – indicate hiring and business growth is expected. The WIB continues to support and assist businesses during the upward trend through its Business Resource Team and Employment Resource Centers. Many of the employers surveyed, participated in programs implemented by the WIB including job fairs, On-the-Job Training grants, process improvement and no-cost workshops.
"The businesses surveyed are reporting an increasing need to hire, plans to expand services, products or physical space and improvements in the quality of the local workforce," said Sandy Harmsen, Executive Director of the San Bernardino County Workforce Development Board. "This is valuable data that will steer our Business Resource Team to continue working with these employers, as well as reach out to additional business to help them hire, train and employ our county's residents."
The WIB and its Employment Resource Center teams use this report to determine which employment sectors are growing and where to focus training funds to assist job seekers who want to enter long-term careers.
The findings included:
- In the West Valley region, 21% of employers surveyed reported an increasing need to hire and 24% indicated they were planning expansion.
- In the Deserts, 21% of employers surveyed reported an increasing need to hire and 16% indicated they were planning expansion.
- In the East Valley, 26% of employers surveyed reported an increasing need to hire and 23% indicated they were planning expansion.
- In Healthcare, 26% of employers surveyed reported an increasing need to hire and 26% reported they were planning expansion.
- In Transportation & Logistics, 19% of employers surveyed reported an increasing need to hire and 19% reported they were planning expansion.
- In Manufacturing, 22% of employers surveyed reported an increasing need to hire and 25% reported they were planning expansion.
"The vital support the Workforce Development Board provides the local business community definitely addresses our current unemployment rate of 11.9%," said Josie Gonzales, San Bernardino County Chair and Fifth District Supervisor. "As the WIB continues to help our employers grow their businesses and create more jobs, we offer greater opportunities for our residents to find well-paying careers closer to home.”
Employers who are interested the Workforce Development Board programs may call: (800) 451-JOBS or visit www.csb-win.org.
About the Workforce Development Board of San Bernardino County
The Workforce Development Board of San Bernardino County (WIB) is comprised of private business representatives and public partners appointed by the County of San Bernardino Board of Supervisors. The WIB strives to strengthen the skills of the County’s workforce through partnerships with business, education and community-based organizations. The County of San Bernardino Board of Supervisors is committed to providing county resources, which generate jobs and investment.
The WIB, through the County of San Bernardino’s Economic Development Agency and Workforce Development Department, operates the County of San Bernardino’s Employment Resource Centers (ERCs) and Business Resource Centers (BRCs). The ERCs provide individuals with job training, placement and the tools to strengthen their skills to achieve a higher quality of life. The BRCs support and provide services to the County’s businesses including employee recruitment.